Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Neilsen Ratings


Every television show and television hour we watch is monitored by what television executives call the "Neilsen ratings." The ratings give networks ideas about what shows are doing well and what shows are not doing well. Shows that consistently fall short are booted from the air. Shows that continue to soar in ratings are usually eventually given prime time programming slots. Ratings are computed each week in an effort to come with the best possible lineup.

I believe that too much stock is placed on the Neilsen ratings myself. For instance, the ratings may show that reality shows do well, so more reality shows will be produced. The ratings are also so up and down that I wonder how much stock you can actually put into them as to what is doing well or not. Below are the ratings for shows June 2- June 8.

1. (X) NBA Finals Game 2: L.A. Lakers vs. Boston, ABC, 13.5 million viewers.
2. (X) NBA Finals Game 1: L.A. Lakers vs. Boston, ABC, 13.38 million viewers.
3. (15) "Two And a Half Men," CBS (nyse: CBS - news - people ), 9.81 million viewers.
4. (22) "60 Minutes," CBS, 9.81 million viewers.
5. (46) "Million Dollar Password," CBS, 9.62 million viewers.
6. (9) "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation," CBS, 9.61 million viewers.
7. (53) "So You Think Can Dance" (Wednesday), Fox, 9.56 million viewers.
8. (13) "House," Fox, 9.44 million viewers.
9. (28) "Hell's Kitchen," Fox, 9.36 million viewers.
10. (53) "So You Think Can Dance" (Thursday), Fox, 9.25 million viewers.
11. (25) "CSI: NY," CBS, 9.11 million viewers.
12. (13) "NCIS," CBS, 8.93 million viewers.
13. (15) "CSI: Miami," CBS, 8.91 million viewers.
14. (67) "Swingtown," CBS, 8.57 million viewers.
15. (22) "Criminal Minds," CBS, 8.27 million viewers.
16. (X) "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - Thursday Special," CBS, 8.21 million viewers.
17. (32) "Rules Of Engagement," CBS, 8.12 million viewers.
18. (32) "Cold Case," CBS, 8.08 million viewers.
19. (79) "Dateline NBC-Sunday," NBC, 7.99 million viewers.
20. (94) "48 Hours Mystery Tuesday," CBS, 7.78 million viewers.

Could this be a revival for the NBA? My first instinct is to be shocked by the amount of reality television programming and game shows. Is America really still wanting game shows? I can only hope this continues.



9 comments:

softball_girl said...

I love game shows. I woudl watch them all the time with my grandma. And still watch them to this day. An tow and a half men is one of my favorite shows of all time.

Tayla. (: said...

I honestly dont know if there is a trailer.
Yeah, I havent seen the first one either.
I wanted to.

Tayla. (: said...

Gosh T your stuff is boring!
Lol.
Sorry for that rudeness.
That is just how I am.
Umm....I dont care what ratings are on anything.
If I like it then that's all I care about.

casey said...

You are listing my schedule of the night wat I watch.

bloodgirl101 said...

I would have to agree with tayla i really don't care either.

LeeAnna said...

I don't mind games shows ,but I hate reality shows.

LumberJack Zack said...

i love game shows to. i really like two and a half men.

Sonia Early said...

I like some of those shows. I can't believe that "Hell's Kitchen" is watched more than "Criminal Minds."
I like both of the shows, but "Criminal Minds" is way better, in my opinion.

Akimitsu Hatsaharu/Maximum said...

I don't like game shows too much, i always turn the channel when they come on....