Tuesday, June 17, 2008

All About Crappie!!!

Black Crappie White Crappie

All About Crappie!!!

Crappie is a breed of fish that a lot of people love to fish. This fish is one of the most fished out of all the freshwater fish. They taste great and not that hard to catch. Common names for Crappie are Specks, White Perch, Croppie, Sac-a-liat, Papermouth, Slabs.
Black and white crappie are the same colors ranging from dark olive to black on top with silvery sides and black blotches and stripes. The pattern of the dark blotches is different. Black crappie the spots are irregular and scattered. On white crappie clearly arranged into 7 to 9 verticle stripes. Black crappie have 7 or 8 dorsal spines and white crappie have only six. The world record black Crappie is 5 pounds and White Crappie is 5 pounds and 3 ounces. Most crappie caught are in the half to one pound range. Some states have a 9 or 10 inch size limit on crappie. In order to keep a Crappie in Mo. it needs to be 10 inches in length from the mouth to the tip of the tail. Black Crappie needs to have a slightly clearer and deeper pond or lake than White Crappie. Crappie can be found in almost every pond, river, lake that is freshwater. To catch Crappie you can use minnows and or jigs. Crappie start to spawn in the spring when the water reaches the 60's in temperature. Crappie will over populate a pond very fast.

8 comments:

the_man_734 said...

I love eating fish. In fact, in my freezer right now, I have Flounder. A couple of weeks ago, I had Tilapia to dine on to cure my desire for fish. Fish are great tasting and actually very healthy.

LeeAnna said...

As hard as it might be to believe I have caught a crappie. In fact, when I caught my first fish mom took a picture of me. I was so cute. LOL.

softball_girl said...

Zack I didn't know that there was somemany names that you could call one fish.

bloodgirl101 said...

That is the wierdest fish i have ever heard of a crappie. WTF? That doesn't sound like it is a very big fish though. Is that as big as the get?

Tayla. (: said...

Oh wow fish.
That is just great.
I HATE fish.
Well...I eat them.
But that doesnt mean I'll be all depressed if I never eat one again.

casey said...

I DONT REALLY CARE WHAT KIND OF FISH I CATCH I JUST LIKE "FISH" INSTEAD OF "MOSS"

Sonia Early said...

Fish isn't the best...

Akimitsu Hatsaharu/Maximum said...

I used to go fishing a lot but i guess i got tired of it, And i don't like the taste either