Friday, June 6, 2008

Matisyahu

Matisyahu (born Matthew Paul Miller, June 30, 1979) is an American reggae musician.

Known for blending traditional themes with reggae and Jewish rock sounds, Matisyahu is most recognizable for being a member of Chabad-Lubavitch, a chassidic group of Judaism, but has recently left Chabad-Lubavitch and is now a mainstream Chassid, looking into the Karlin Hasidic sect. As such, Matisyahu stands out for wearing the traditional clothing of Hasidic Jews and not performing on the Sabbath. Since 2004, he has released two studio albums as well as one live album, two remix CDs and one DVD featuring a live concert, and a number of interviews. Through his short career, Matisyahu has teamed up with some of the biggest names in reggae production including Bill Laswell and duo Sly & Robbie.

Since his debut, Matisyahu has received positive reviews from both rock and reggae outlets. Most recently, he was named Top Reggae Artist of 2008 by Billboard.

This is important to me because he is awesome! I love this band, he has a very interesting voice and style of music. Most people wouldn't think that I listen to reggae but I do. I think most of the reggae music is very inspirational and up lifting.



7 comments:

bloodgirl101 said...

I have never heard of that band but it sounds like a really good. Theey have a really wierd name for that band is he like muslum or something?

LumberJack Zack said...

I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE. n offense but yo ulisten to wierd music. i listen to country adn old rock.

LeeAnna said...

You are right when you say that he has a very interesting voice and style of music. I don't listen to them ,but you are right about that.

skater said...

ya i never heard of this one ether i listen to country and R&B

Sonia Early said...

Never heard of 'em, but I bet they're good. Bob Marley, huh?

the_man_734 said...

I remember when he came out. I was sitting there eating my lunch in my residence hall and watching videos from college radio. They usually picked awful songs by horrible bands like the yeah yeahs and this rap group that sang a song called "National Disgrace." I thought that the majority of the music was terrible. My one shining light stretch was when they played "Do You Realize?" by the Flaming Lips and "God Put a Smile Upon Your Face" by Coldplay. They played this Jewish rabbi reggae/rap star that you wrote about. He wasn't bad. In fact, he was pretty entertaining.

the_man_734 said...

This world has changed big time when a Jewish guy can become a hit reggae star! Wow! I wonder what sort of live show he puts on?