Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Movie Countdowns

Just about everybody has a countdown of some sort when it comes to movies. Nearly everybody has a favorite movie and can tell you why. In an effort to better connect with the American public, the AFI (American Film Institute) has released several different movie countdown lists. The latest list is what they call the top ten in ten genres. The ten genres that were chosen represent the best of that specific genre. The voting results were tabulated and presented to everybody by way of a television program shown on CBS complete with celebrity interviewees. The American Film Institute is a group of film fans and various studio execs. They are located in California.

I thought that their original list of the top 100 films was really comprehensive and didn't need correcting, but other film fans griped so much that the institute had to issue a new list that included newer films that for the most part weren't deserving anyway. The bottom line with these lists is pure fun anyway. They are simply put together to start discussion. No list or opinions of others should dictate your personal taste. I personally love films very much, but I also have my limits. I don't watch any thing "R" rated by choice. Part of the reason is strictly religious, but I don't hide behind that. Restricted viewing in my opinion violates the reason movies were created. Movies were created for families to enjoy together. They were meant as an escape. If not all people can escape, then they aren't getting the complete element of pleasure that a movie can give them.

For your enjoyment, I will include AFI's top choices for you to peruse through.

Animation: SNOW WHITE (1937)
Romantic Comedy: CITY LIGHTS (1931)
Western: THE SEARCHERS (1956)
Sports: RAGING BULL (1980)
Mystery: VERTIGO (1958)
Fantasy: THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939)
Science Fiction: 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (1968)
Gangster: THE GODFATHER (1972)
Court room Drama: TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD (1962)
Epic: Lawrence of Arabia (1962)


















7 comments:

skater said...

i like a few of the movies i like westerns every time they come on me and my dad all ways have it on and every one gets mad at me and him

Sonia Early said...

I've only seen Snow White, To Kill A Mockingbird, The Wizard Of Oz,and part of The Godfather.

Tayla. (: said...

Gosh Mr. T you are such a freak!!! Lol. Pictures overlapping much? Well, I have only seen some of them also. I like some of them. [=

Akimitsu Hatsaharu/Maximum said...

Nice Mr. Tutterrow. I like your movie countdown.

Tayla. (: said...

Yup, turns out they did get their name from him. Nice.

LeeAnna said...

I like movies a lot. I hardly go to the theaters becuase it costs so much. I can't believe that Snow White is #1. I didn't think it would be. Maybe the top ten ,but not #1. I'm not a big fan of Th Wizard of Oz ,but I can see it being #1. I know you don't like to watch R rated movies ,but have you ever watched one before?

bloodgirl101 said...

I have only seen three of these movies.